Numerous industries, including construction, industrial, vehicle, and military, rely on freight transportation to transfer their equipment and supplies to their destination. Because many of these supplies are oversized and are oddly formed, they do not fit the size of a regular truck. This is where flatbed freight service comes in.
What is Flatbed Shipping?
Flatbed shipping is a method to transport freight, using flatbed trucks carrying heavy and large devices, such as cranes and forklifts. Because these trucks do not have walls, oversized freight fits.
Flatbed truck dimensions are different depending on the specific truck and trucking type. Tractor-trailer-sized flatbeds are typically between 48 feet and 53 feet long, and the standard width is 8 feet and 6 inches, though this can extend to 11 feet. Flatbed trucks carrying loads wider than 11 feet may need an escort vehicle.
The flatbed freight market is typically project-based with seasonal needs. Since industries using it generally slow down in winter months, the demand for flatbed freight becomes normal at the end of the year. Often, companies need to finish shipping materials for projects before the holiday closures and before snow covers routes that slow down shipping.
What Products Can Be Delivered with a Flatbed Truck?
Flatbed trucks can deliver almost anything except products that can easily be damaged by elements because they’re uncovered and exposed.
The most common goods that can be shipped are:
- Freight surpassing 100 inches in height or 100 inches in width
- Cars and other vehicles
- Formed lumber, concrete products, building materials, trusses, and big beams
- Large machinery and equipment: backhoes, tractors, dozers, excavators, forklifts, and other construction, farming, production, and warehousing equipment
- Any freight, which needs to be packed by wench, crane, roll off-platform, forklift, etc.
Advantages of Flatbed Freight
In addition to higher import demands, increased construction activities, booming oil and drilling, etc., flatbed freight has advantages that’s why more industries are depending on it. These include:
1. Easy Loading and Unloading of Freight
Because flatbed trucks are uncovered or have no boxy wall, you do not need to stress about obstacles. You can quickly fit your goods and simply utilize a forklift to load them up. It offers you complete freedom on what to put, even the most oversized products.
2. Unloading without the Need of a Loading Dock
Flatbed trucking services do not have any restrictions when it comes to a loading dock. Your items can be delivered anywhere by the transport company, including residential areas, large construction sites, etc.
3. Safe and Secured Transport
Moving cargo through flatbed trucks is much safer and more secure because the items are exposed. However, to avoid shifting during transport, experts use chains, coil racks, traps, etc., so that your freight will get to its location without scratches.
4. Flatbed Trucking Providers Allow Various Materials and Size
A flatbed truck allows you to carry a high volume of different products in one trip. This works for moving oddly-shaped freight, specifically for those in the construction industry. Thus, you can save from shipping expenses and even speed up completion time. In addition, flatbed shipping enables you to transport large cargo even if it doesn’t occupy the entire space of the truck.
Is Flatbed Shipping Expensive?
The costs of flatbed shipping depend on the country you’re living in and where you are shipping to. It is impacted by several factors such as:
- How far is the loading and unloading points
- The need for loading and unloading equipment like a loading platform or a crane
- The need for additional services like chains and tarps
- Any fees and permits that your cargo requires from local and national government offices
- The type of flatbed truck you need
- The weight and size of your load
To maximize the benefits of flatbed truck services, it’s always best to work with specialists who ensure your freight’s prompt shipment and safety. You should understand the type of flatbed trailers. Before booking, make sure to understand the measurements, weight, product, and value of your delivery.
If you’re on the lookout for professional flatbed shipping services, try Ship Interlane. Their company offers a vast array of shipping services across and outside the country like the USA and Canada. Click here to know more about their services.